2024 SEE/MAPLD Lightning Talk Information
Lightning Talks Session
The Lightning Talks is a competitive session that will include presentations lasting three minutes each and using only a single slide. The session is modeled after the Three Minute Thesis (3MT) competition, but is open to all SEE/MAPLD attendees. The main purpose of this session is to develop the skills to effectively explain your research topic in a language appropriate for a non-specialist audience. These skills can help you communicate with program managers, funding agencies, and broad audiences. If you are a student, it is an excellent opportunity to gain visibility in the field. A panel of judges will select a winner and a People's Choice Award will be selected by conference attendees.
Rules for Lightning Talks:
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and presenters exceeding this time will be disqualified.
- The topic of the presentation must be technical and related to the topics in the SEE/MAPLD call for papers, however, it must be delivered to effectively inform a non-specialist audience.
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted without transitions, animations, or movement. No additional media such as sound or video files are permitted. This slide will be shown from the beginning of the presentation.
- The timer will start when the presenter begins speaking.
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g. no poems, raps or songs).
- "Microwave Holography: The Future of Medical Imaging" by Daniel Tajik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfNBH6JUTxc
- "A Tarantula’s View of the Wireless 5G Power Web around Us" by Aline Eid: https://youtu.be/koBmPdNnYJs?si=zLnT7srG7Nh9BLD-
- "Which Way is Up" by Ajibayo Adeyeye https://youtu.be/-SBmTQAOzlg?si=H7WqVNNnCdDfX2AB
- "It's the journey that matters" by Ioanna Apostolina: https://youtu.be/vD8fSY2Dic8?si=wixE9JZ8HLoXEz-h
- "Fold the World" by Xiaolin Wang: https://youtu.be/fCr97yEL8hY?si=66fVeemHmOoJc8i2
Lightning Talks Submission Guidelines:
- We will accept a single slide (.pptx or .pdf) with the name and affiliation of the presenter, the proposed presentation title, and three bullet points describing your three-minute presentation. Note: This slide is not the same that will be used during the presentation.
- Keep in mind the following judging criteria when selecting a topic for submission: https://threeminutethesis.uq.edu.au/resources/judging-criteria-and-panel